We have lived in our house for over 3 years now and I have to admit that the last time I organized my closet was probably the week we moved in.
Well I finally got fed up with the mess this week and decided to cleaned it out and reorganize. After pulling out all sorts of things that I never wear and various types of bags I have collected over the years, I can honestly say that I now have space that I can actually utilize.
So speaking from my recent personal experience, here are 7 Tips To Organizing a Closet!
1. Bring cleaning supplies. You will need wipes, a duster, garbage bags, and a vacuum cleaner.
2. Pull everything out of the closet to see exactly what you have. I recommend doing this in sections so you don’t have a huge mess to clean up all at once and you can also dust shoes, boxes, etc as you are pulling them out. Once you open up space in your closet, vacuum it out as well.
3. Divide your items up as to keep, donate, sell, or recycle/ throw away. If you are keeping it and already know where it will go in the closet, just put it back. Then divide the items up into the bags by donate, recycle, throw away, or sell. I have a few suits from my banking days that I am thinking about listing on eBay and the rest of the items are being donated to a local thrift store benefiting nursing students and other community needs.
4. Put items up high that you don’t use as often and put items down low that you use more frequently. Example: I put shoes that I wear less frequently along with some keepsakes on the very top shelf of my closet and my favorite flats and sneakers on the lower shelf.
5. As you place your clothing back into the closet, put like items together. Jeans with Jeans, Short Sleeve with Short Sleeve, Dress Shoes with Dress Shoes, etc, etc.
6. Place items like sweaters and loose items like belts and scarves into totes or baskets. I had a 4 drawer utility basket for crafts that I repurposed into my closet when I lost one of the wheels during the move, I put scarves and flip-flops inside of it. In addition, I also use a basket I found at Goodwill for my belts. I simply rolled them up so they are easier to spot.
7. Finally, double hang items if you are looking to save space. Put 2 pairs of jeans on one hanger and this works well on the plastic kind since they provide more support. I also like to hang multiple tank tops on the neck of one hanger.
Do you have any additional ideas that have been useful to you when organizing a closet?
I hope you find these tips helpful, and also have success with your own project!
Carlee @ FLL