A special thank you goes out to St. Augustine for providing my husband and me a complimentary entry into Fort Menendez.
While on a recent couple’s vacation in St. Augustine, my husband and I explored the area and decided to stop in and visit Fort Menendez. This happened to be the first attraction along our journey into the city.
Now I will tell you that we had no clue what this was, but I am glad we let our exploring lead us in this direction. My husband and I both found the location entertaining and educational.
According to their Facebook page, Fort Menendez is a hands-on museum that puts guests in the year 1585 to explore the “New World” as Early Spanish in St. Augustine.
I am from Jacksonville Florida originally so I enjoy history about the state, and this was a great place to learn about the natives and settlers of St. Augustine.
As I mentioned before this was a couple’s vacation, but I found that this attraction would especially be great for children.
With that being said, here are my 5 Reasons To Take Your Child To Fort Menendez In St. Augustine!
1. Visitors get a guide who takes them through the complex and explains how everyday life was in the Fort and with the Timucua Indian Tribe.
2. As a Voyager, you receive an Official Letter of Marque, that you sign with a feather and get to keep as a souvenir.
3. Voyagers are also given a list of questions to answer as they tour and if you get them correct, you earn Ducados. These can then be redeemed in the store for prizes. FYI, you get other opportunities to earn Ducados as you tour along.
4. Participants get to make candles. I thought this was really entertaining and we even received a set to take home. They do have other hands on opportunities for large groups and students, refer to the website for more details.
5. Visitors can also test out tools and games from that era. I thought it was interesting to see how these individuals passed the time. They may have been basically made, but the overall concepts are routed in many of the board games we play today.
Have you ever been to St. Augustine? If so, have you ever taken a tour of Fort Menendez?
If you are interested in touring Fort Menendez In St. Augustine, they are open Monday Through Saturday from 10:00am to 3:30pm and closed on Sundays. Ticket prices are $11.00 for adults and $8.00 for children age 3 to 18 and children 2 and under are FREE.
Discounts are available for FL Residents, Locals, Seniors Military, and AAA. Plus they offer group rates as well. Be sure to check their website in advance for updated times and admission rates.
I hope you find this information helpful, and enjoy your next vacation to the St. Augustine Area!
Carlee @ FLL