SocialMoms and Safelite have teamed up to have mom bloggers like myself create a blog post about 10 Tips for Keeping Your Family Safe on The Road.
With summer steadily approaching many of us will be hitting the road including myself, and it is important to keep safety in mind before embarking on a trip.
So here are a few of my tips plus some additional ones from Safelite:
1. Keep Your Car’s Maintenance Up to Date. Before heading out on a trip, make sure your car is up to date on it’s maintenance. That includes things like oil changes, brakes, tires, and other things that could cause a car to break down or have an accident on the road. If in doubt, you may want to take it in for a complete check up and not leave anything to chance.
2. Make Sure Your Road Side Safety Kit is Up to Date. This includes having flares, first aid items like bandages, medicine, and water for certain emergencies. Also make sure you fill any required prescription medications before you head out on your trip. And, have your tow service information in a place where you can easily find it.
3. Charge Your Cell Phone. In a worst case scenario, such as an accident or getting lost, having a cell phone that is charged properly is very important. This way you can call the police, a tow, or a friend to help you find your destination. Plus, if you have a smart phone, you can find the directions on there as well.
4. Plan Your Trip Ahead of Time Using a GPS or a Map Service. If you don’t know where you are going, you could make a wrong turn on a one way street, or find yourself on a dirt road in the middle of no where. Planning your trip ahead of time will avoid frustration and lead you in the right direction. Plus, it could possibly save you some drive time.
5. Don’t Drive When You are Sleepy. Pretty self explanatory as far as I am concerned. There is no where anyone needs to be when there is a risk of an accident due to someone not having enough sleep. If you are on the road and find yourself dozing off, find yourself a motel, and sleep it off. If you have a another person in the car who can drive, switch the driving responsibilities.
6. Avoid Driving in Inclement Weather. If you don’t have to be somewhere when the weather is bad, then don’t go out. If you have the option to stay at a hotel another night or wait to drive once the bad weather has subsided, then make that choice. An accident on vacation will ruin a vacation.
7. Fill Up Your Tank Regularly When You Are On The Road. First off, it would be a pain if you ran out of gas. Second, you don’t want to break down in an area that you are not familiar with. Third, you can mess up your gas tank and your engine if you let it get too low.
(3) Three Additional for Keeping Your Family Safe on The Road from Safelite:
8. If You Notice a Chip in Your Windshield, Get It Repaired. A chip could turn into a crack at any time, often when you are least expecting it. Cracks can block your vision when driving. Windshield repair is often a safe and economical alternative to a full windshield replacement.
9. Think You Can Ignore a Chip in Your Windshield? Think Again! The windshield provides up to 30% of your vehicles structural integrity, and a chip smaller than 6 inches (or the size of a dollar bill) can easily be repaired by filling it with a special resin.
10. Forget Do-it-Yourself Repair Kits for Windshields. The resin could easily shrink or yellow, lowering the quality of the repair. Safelite AutoGlass uses a patented repair process… A vacuum is created over the damaged area and the resin penetrates and fills the finest micro-cracks. The technician pulls off the vacuum changer and the UV light hardens the resin. Safelite’s resin is proven to be the strongest and longest lasting on the market. And why do it yourself, when with many insurance companies, there is no deductible for the repair.
Safelite AutoGlass® was founded in 1947. Throughout our more than 60 years of service, our company has grown from a single store in Wichita, Kansas, to a national auto glass provider, serving nearly 4 million customers per year.
Through industry-leading 24-hour instant scheduling, convenient in-shop or mobile service, top-of-the-line materials and SafeTech™ certified technicians, you’ll find that Safelite AutoGlass offers superior customer service, value and quality. Source Social Moms.
For more information on the company visit safelite.com. For up to date information on the company, check them out on Twitter and Facebook.
What do you do to prepare yourself for a Road Trip? What tips do you have for individuals getting ready to take a trip? I would love to hear your thoughts!
“I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Safelite blogging program, for a gift card worth $30. For more information on how you can participate, click here.”
AutoWorx Auto Glass says